Pages


Monday, September 10, 2012

Cassava ~ food for islanders!!



NOTHING gives me greater pleasure than to cook something that is freshly plucked from my own backyard!! Apart from helping to green up the earth, the thought of not having to spend money to buy the fresh produce keeps me beaming with happiness…(I lived in Penang far too long…in Penang, people are simply kiam siap which translates to being frugal, penny-wise or kedekut…..whichever way you choose to look at it).
Anyway, I simply have to pen this down….I keep a journal about everything. There’s something about being in Langkawi that encourages you to keep a journal…….!
Anyway, this time I’m beaming with pride as I write about my home-grown tapioca.  In my backyard, several tall tapioca trees were ready for harvesting a few days ago.  In the West Indies tapioca is a staple food. In Malaysia, it’s not anymore but it used to be during the Japanese Occupation . Apart from the horror war stories I used to hear from my grandma and mum, the one ingrained in my mind was that the Japanese soldiers would force all the local folks to plant tapioca. Why? Because they are recyclable (stem-cut replanting), are tasty and filling in place of rice which takes time to grow and requires nurturing, harvesting and processing.
   With tapioca, all you have to do is cut the stems into foot-long pieces and simply stick them back in the ground after the harvest. Just make sure they’re watered regularly and do add some fertilizer if you want your fibrous roots to come out thick like little stumps!!
    From where I came from in our town house in Penang, there was hardly any space to plant these gluten-free root or rather cassava. Moreover, I was also running around after news and the earliest I would be home would be after sundown…(so much for any decent home-cooked food!!)
    Two years ago, we made a decision to move to Langkawi and we’ve been stuck here eversince! The great thing about being here is that there is plenty of land to grow things. We have a little patch in front of the house with some shrubs and herb garden. And in the backyard, we have pandan leaves, lemon grass, laksa leaves (daun kesum), chili, mango, lime and tapioca (Gardening is so very therapeutic!)
    Apart from boiling with other condiments like they do in the West Indies, you can try making delicious tapioca pudding . It’s simple and fast! What you need to do is peel off the purple skin, wash and grate them finely, place the grated tapioca in a sieve and let the tap water run over the mass (clears away the starchy content). Then put the mass in a mixing bowl, add a bit of creamy coconut milk (I prefer the cholesterol-free santan (enough to cover the mass), enough sugar to taste and mix everything well.
    Butter up the baking tray and bake the mixture till the top becomes golden. Take it out, wait for it to cool and you get the loveliest tapioca pudding to serve for teatime!
     Which brings me to memories of my childhood where baking tray was lined with banana leaf instead of butter and the baking was done over charcoal instead of in an oven. The taste was of course, incomparable!










      _________________________________________________


·          The health benefits of tapioca – it’s low in cholesterol and unhealthy fats, it’s a healthy source of carbohydrate and is gluten-free!. It contains dietary fiber to help lower cholesterol and prevent colon cancer and calcium, potassium, magnesium and phosphorous (Source: Livestrong.com)



1 comment: